Thursday 23 February 2012

Thankful Thursday

I am so thankful for my parents. They have truely been a blessing to me. I thank God daily for having me born to this particular set of people, into this crazy family.
I know I have said this before but my parents are not young anymore. My Dad (Pappa as I call him) is 87 and my Mom is 83.
We are seeing more and more memory loss in Dad. He still remembers us all and all our children, but he sometimes forgets where to turn to go to the grocery store. (They have lived in town for the last 28 years) He now lives like what happened 50 years ago is happening now.
I just found out last night that Dad just had a minor heart attack. He is in complete denial and it scares me. He was always my rock growing up. Dad only had 1 boy in the midst of all us girls. 5 in total. My brother is 13 years older than me. Needless to say growing up on a farm I did my fair share. I often went out to lay the bedding down for the cows or feed them. Milk them when I was much younger. Feed the chickens and gather the eggs. ( I must say I am petrified of those darn birds) I even went out to "feed" the gophers with my Daddy.
Now the thought of losing him freaks me out. I have always know that the chances that I will continue to walk this side of heaven without my parents is great but to have it almost tangible takes my breathe away.

OK OK I know that now all of you are saying 'I thought that this was supposed to be Thankful Thursday?' and it is.
I am thankful that I was given these two beautiful individuals to be my parents.
I am thankful that I was raised the way that I was.
I am thankful that my parents thought that it was important to take me to church and to instill that in me.
I am thankful that although my parents are elderly they are still with me.
I am thankful that I have been blessed with at least 40 years of love and wisdom from these two.
I am so thankful that my children all got to know my parents and that they have amazing memories of grandparents, that tend to spoil them rotten while loving them unconditionally.
I am so thankful...


No comments:

Post a Comment